The right design is critical to usability. In short, it’s just the ease of use of your store and the liking of shoppers is largely due to the quality of the site’s usability. This means that even the first visitor knows how to navigate your store.
Usability principles apply to the design of every website, but they are most important in the case of an online store. Conversion and the number of orders placed largely depend on the correct optimization of the site in terms of usability. Therefore, all usability problems in the online store and all kinds of improvements should be made as soon as possible.
The importance of quality and convenience
Of course, modern solutions can be implemented, but a store design that is not like all the others will have an effect opposite to what was expected. Therefore, ecommerce website designing should be viewed as an integrated approach, consisting of a number of processes.
Universal principles of usability
- Let’s focus on a few unique rules that every website must comply with when it comes to usability.
- A clear choice when a person first visits your site, they need to know what they can do. If the service is difficult to use, for example, a person cannot find a search engine in an online store, then, probably, he will leave.
- Give users a simple choice. This is very important, especially when it comes to marketing elements. An example would be a pop-up window with a pop-up window “do you want to get a coupon for a discount -20%” and under two buttons “yes” and “no”. Simple question and quick response from the client.
Every element that appears on a website should have a purpose, serve something.
Simplicity is the word that opens your customers’ wallets. Don’t overcomplicate your online store, simplify it. If you follow this simple rule, your sales will increase.
What to look for when designing an online store?
Below you will find some of the most important aspects to keep in mind when talking about the usability of an online store. For convenience, they are divided into categories. You should remember that this is a summary of the most important aspects to pay attention to. And let it be not even an individual solution, but a high-quality ecommerce app design template.
The overall look of the website is actually the most important element. The presentation of the content largely depends on this, so it is worth trying to do it. Here, pay particular attention to:
- Website Template and General Appearance As we wrote in the article on the structure of an online store, you should pay a lot of attention to the color scheme of the website and the template used. Take into account the industry in which you operate, the target group you are targeting your products to. It’s worth doing a competitor analysis to get information on how she handled the store’s design.
- Access to the shopping cart must be accessible from anywhere in your online store. Your best bet is to introduce an interactive cart icon that changes and informs the customer that the item is in the cart.
- Font 1 Font on your site is very important. In an online store, you only communicate with fonts and graphics. Therefore, make sure that the font is clearly visible there should be a contrast between the font and the background, in addition, its size should also be appropriate. It’s also important to limit the number of fonts the general rule of thumb here is that less is better. Especially in the main text block. It is also worth choosing sans serif fonts because they are easier to read.
Formatting your text In short, keep it consistent and simple, and at the same time, don’t be afraid to use bold, italic, or underline. Don’t forget to arrange your content in short paragraphs and separate it with headings.
Technical aspects of usability
Contrary to the opinion of some people, the technical aspect of the site is also very important. From a usability point of view, attention should primarily be paid to:
- Page load time. Research shows that if a page takes too long to load, users simply don’t wait for it to load. In addition, page load time affects positioning. Therefore, to optimize it as much as possible, it is worth using the help of professional companies. In some cases, you will need to change hosting.
- Subpage titles Some companies try to get creative and come up with unusual subpage titles. However, being on such a page, the Internet user will be confused, so it is better to choose verified names such as “contact”, “home page”, “opinions”.
- Image title and alt some entrepreneurs think these things only affect your site’s search engine rankings. However, it is worth remembering that they are used by blind or visually impaired people, so it is worth describing the photos on the site.
URLs Contrary to appearances, they also affect the usability of your website, so it’s best to design them correctly. They should be composed mostly of keywords, not random strings.
Ella is an experienced content publisher and Senior Editor at SocialMagz.com. With a passion for technology and a wealth of knowledge in the field, Ella brings a unique perspective to the website and its readers.