Proctoring is a way to conduct timed exams with an online invigilation system. It started as a trial experiment and now has become a go-to-solution to most educational institutions and students. It is an online way of conducting different types of exams, ay it be objective, subjective, essay type, or any other kind of exam. It ensures the smooth conduct of online exams without cheating. There is no need for setting physical centers and can be attempted from anywhere at any time. Auto proctoring tests are conducted using Artificial intelligence technologies. There is no need for human invigilation as well. Everything from the beginning to the end is monitored online. It has the facility of recording it and using it as and when required. The software is highly and has enhanced scalability. There are very fewer chances of errors as well.
In the time of the pandemic, and with the education going online, this is becoming the most suitable option for all. Earlier there was the need for human invigilation as well. The proctor was assigned the duty of monitoring candidates giving the exam. With the coming up of Artificial intelligence technology, it is no longer required. Various Universities and educational institutions are now adopting this software to reap the benefits. Various benefits of auto proctoring are discussed below:
- No need for physical locations or centres: The method has solved the problem of setting up physical centres. Students can give exams from any place of their convenience. There is no need for travelling to specific physical centres. In the traditional examination system, the candidates had to gather at a specific place to give the exam but this is no longer required. They can appear for the exam from their home or the place of their convenience.
- Simplifies the need for invigilation: AI-based proctoring invigilation goes up a notch. There is no human intervention required at all. The chances of error are reduced to a great extent. There are up to 95% efficiency and accuracy levels. The software catches all types of sounds in the test taker’s environment and analyzes them. It helps to simplify the invigilation process making it more explicit. It is a more effective method of remotely noticing the test taker and their environment who can give test from any place.
- Flexible and convenient option: Auto proctoring is a highly flexible and convenient option both for the test givers and the examiner. Students can appear in the exam at any time and place of their convenience. There is no need for physical invigilation. Everything is done using Artificial intelligence technology. Even the lowest of sound and the slightest movement can come into the notice. The exam of the candidate can also be disabled in case any such circumstance arises.
- Calculation of credibility index: At the end of the exam, it prepares a report known as credibility index for both students and the examiner. It takes into consideration various flags and conditions before preparing. Any additional sounds, disturbances or movements are notified in the report. It is highly effective with minimum chances of error. It has the accuracy level of up to 95% and is more convenient than online human proctoring.
- Ensure safe examination environment: The software ensures the safe examination environment without any discrepancies. It establishes a cheating free environment. These keep the track of the activities of the students from remote places. Both the parties can conduct and undertake the examination from anywhere and at any time. In the time of online education and training, these are a more conclusive method of conducting exams as they ensure that examination takes place properly and efficiently.
- Simplifies the need for invigilation: AI-based proctoring invigilation goes up a notch. There is no human intervention required at all. The chances of error are reduced to a great extent. There are up to 95% efficiency and accuracy levels. The software catches all types of sounds in the test taker’s environment and analyzes them. It helps to simplify the invigilation process making it more explicit. It is a more effective method of remotely noticing the test taker and their environment who can give tests from any place.
- Scans the physical environment: The software thoroughly scans the physical environment of the student or the test taker and looks for any additional sound or noise. It can have a 360-degree view of the area where the candidate is giving the exam. It detects even the lowest of volume, mumbling and whispers and ensures the cheating free environment. The software is well developed and equipped to detect any external noise. It uses a microphone to ensure smooth conduct of the exam or test. It ensures that there is no outside nuisance or sounds involved while the test is being conducted.
- Disables all sharing options: With the use of such AI-based software, the individual is prevented from sharing any information during the examination. It disables certain features of browsers and new tabs, search engines and websites, screen sharing, external ports and printing, data sharing and cut, copy, paste option.
Thus, auto proctoring is of great use in the present day scenario. It is now more often adopted by educational institutions and companies to conduct cheating free exams. Apart from this, it has various other benefits for students and institutions. Remote proctoring creates the environment of security, scalability, reliability and reach ability. The candidates are clicked in real-time and time-stamped photographs are collected for review. This is beneficial both for the candidates and the educational institutes in terms of time, cost and efforts saved. This has helped to make the distance issue between both the parties immaterial. The invigilation can be done easily and that too without the involvement of human invigilators. It is used by Universities, Companies, Government and various for certified programs. The data entered before the test is safe and stored digitally and the need for storing the data in physical format is reduced. Due to its highly efficient results, security and cost-effective results, these are now used more often.
Ella is an experienced content publisher and Senior Editor at SocialMagz.com. With a passion for technology and a wealth of knowledge in the field, Ella brings a unique perspective to the website and its readers.